Thursday, October 14, 2010

a look at the design process

Here is a photo of an artwork that Chelsea wanted me to use as a design jumping off point for a phoenix pendant - her hope was that it would have purple/blue colors and red/pink colors like the painting along with warm brown/orange colors so she can wear it with both warm and cool colors:

 


First step - start making sketches - even if I don't really like the first ones they are part of the process to find out what works:


 Pick out and play around with colors:

 

 Then put them together to show the client to see what she thinks:

 
 
Chelsea got back to me and did like the design but would like me to adjust the top of the wings. I'll try to keep this journal updated with it's progress!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, there sure are a lot of steps and prep work. I'm very anxious to see the piece done. I like the design and love the rich jeweltone colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope to continue with illustrating the steps each day I do in making this - just to show all the work that does go into designing, enameling and fabrication. Thanks - I think it is a good design too!

    ReplyDelete